Unhappy with your GoPro microphone?
Then you’re in the right place!
In this article we discuss the top external microphones on the market plus adapters and accessories that will help you record a better audio with your GoPro camera.
Are you ready?
Let’s dive in!
The Best External Microphones for Your GoPro
GoPro Wireless Microphones
For times when you cannot afford to see cables running between your camera and subject, wireless mics are perfect. Here are two great options:
#1: REMOVU Wireless Microphone
Inexpensive and easy to use. This wireless microphone kit is designed for GoPro HERO3, HERO3+, HERO4 (not HERO5 or later models). It includes a receiver that attaches at the back of your GoPro and a microphone with a built-in transmitter.
- This device fits GoPro HERO3, HERO3 plus and HERO4 only. NOT for HERO 5 and later...
- Maximum distance is about 40 Yards depending on environment
- Powered by included Lithium battery, and runs more than 6 hours
#2: BOYA Wireless Microphone
This radio set works with any microphone and most video/audio recorders (including smartphones). It comes with a GoPro adapter for HERO3, HERO3+ and HERO4. Content creators use it for producing Podcasts, Vlogging, Street Interviews or Youtube Videos.
- New Release-The BOYA BY-WM2G is a compact wireless microphone, designed for reliable...
- It can work with GoPro Hero3 3+ 4, Smartphone, iPad, Tablet, DSLR camera, Camcorder,...
- Standard camera shoe mount, gopro cable adapter and clip included
GoPro Shotgun Microphones
Shotgun microphones do a good job at cancelling ambient noise. This makes them perfect for a number of applications like Vlogs, interviews, voiceovers, and even music production, where you need to isolate your subject from other noises.
#1: Rode Video Micro Shotgun Microphone
This is the basic version of the Rode Video Microphone line. It’s compact, inexpensive and doesn’t need a battery to work. With its 3.5mm Audio Aux connector you can just plug it to your GoPro (with an Audio Adapter) or any DSLR and record superior sounds straight away. I’d advise it to anyone looking to record a better audio in interviews and vlogs, also in windy situations (it comes with a wind screen).
No products found.
#2: Rode VideoMic Pro Shotgun Microphone
This is surely not the most compact GoPro microphone out there, but if audio quality is what you are after, then don’t look any further. It’s a directional, self-powered microphone with volume controls. I’ve bought this microphone since it was positively reviewed by many famous Vloggers and YouTubers. After using this mic for professional shootings with DSLRs and GoPros I can suggest it to anybody looking to upgrade their audio setup to a higher level.
- Broadcast recording quality condenser microphone
- Compact design (only 150mm/6" length)
- Ultra lightweight (only 85g/3oz)
GoPro Compact Microphones
Unlike directional shotgun microphones, these small microphones are omnidirectional. Meaning that they will pick up any sound coming from any direction around it. They are compact, inexpensive and are designed to improve GoPro’s Audio.
#1: EDUTIGE Compact Microphone
A well reviewed microphone for action cameras and DSLRs. Its compact size makes this omnidirectional mic ideal for recording meetings, lectures, or interviews & great for capturing audio for Youtube or Vlogs. It can be used with all GoPro editions compatible with external mics.
#2: Sennheiser Compact Microphone
Do a lot of water sports but still want to improve your audio? This waterproof microphone made specifically for the HERO4 attaches to the back of a standard waterproof housing and makes the whole thing waterproof up to 3.2 feet (1m) for 30 minutes. It’s ideal for skiing, surfing and all water based activities.
- “Works with GoPro” - GoPro Approved external microphone for Hero4 action cams
- Ruggedly designed for adverse climatic conditions
- Extremely resistant to wind noise and insensitive to structure-borne noise
#3: Saramonic Compact Microphone
An inexpensive stereo condenser microphone that plugs directly into the GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ & HERO4 without the need of any battery. It comes with two different windscreens to use during the action or in windy situations.
- CRISP AUDIO: Get clearer audio for when you record your next adventure with its dual...
- NOISE REDUCTION: Includes Foam Windshield & Bonus "Deadcat" Furry Windjammer ~...
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: We’ve got your back! Our products are designed to ease your...
GoPro Lavalier Microphones
If you need to conduct an interview or you are planning to record Youtube videos in a room, the Lavalier microphone is probably the best option. These omnidirectional microphones are cheap and work great with any camera that supports a mic input. They typically have a 3.5mm Aux connector, so you’ll need an adapter to attach it to GoPro.
#1: Sony Lavalier Microphone
With over 1,200 positive Amazon reviews, and a GoPro recommendation, this simple clip microphone is perfect for interviews as it’s made to quickly attache to a shirt for convenient hands-free recording.
#2: Movo Lavalier Microphone
It’s the best lavalier microphone for price/quality. It comes with an audio adapter for GoPro HERO3, HERO3+, HERO4, but it can also be used for newer camera models with this adapter.
- CRISP AUDIO: Get clearer audio recording your next adventure. The omnidirectional...
- PLUG AND PLAY: Compatible with GoPro mic adapter allows you to connect the lavalier...
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: We’ve got your back. Our products are designed to ease your...
Best Microphone Adapters and Housings
GoPro cameras don’t have a dedicated audio input port. So, there’s no way for you to directly plug in an external microphone with your action camera. That’s why you’ll need some additional accessories to use an external microphone with your GoPro. These accessories include: a media mod, a microphone adapter, or an external microphone friendly housing.
GoPro Media Mods
The GoPro Media Mod is a cage-like accessory that clips around your GoPro and attaches to its USB-C port. It features a 3.5mm mic port for your favorite external mics. In addition, there are two cold shoes that let you mount the Display Mod and Light Mod (you need to buy them separately).
#1: Media Mod (Hero 10 Black/Hero 9 Black)
- Built-in directional mic highlights voice audio and reduces ambient noise
- Tough, weather-resistant construction withstands the elements
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
#2: GoPro Media Mod (Hero 8 Black)
- Built-in directional mic delivers crystal-clear audio and reduces wind and ambient...
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
- 3.5mm mic port lets you add an external mic for enhanced audio
GoPro Microphone Adapters
If you own a Hero 5 Session, Hero 5 Black, Hero 6 Black, Hero 7 Black, or Hero 8 Black, this is the microphone adapter GoPro recommends to enable stereo mic and line input for external audio sources like an audio recorder or mixer.
#1: GoPro Hero 5, Hero 6, Hero 7 & Hero 8 Microphone Adapter
- Enables high-quality audio capture when using a pro-level external mic.Mounting Type:...
- USB-C power and data extension with 90° connector
- Connects a wide range of external 3.5mm mics
If you own a Hero 3 or 4, this is the microphone adapter GoPro recommends or you can use a less expensive adapter that works just as well.
#2: GoPro Hero 3 and Hero 4 Microphone Adapter
- Adapts any standard, TRS 3.5mm microphone cable to fit the GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ &...
- Versatile heavy-duty cable maintains connection and audio quality
- High-Quality Connectors
GoPro Microphone Housings
To get your adapter working, you’ll need a microphone friendly housing so you can access the audio port. For Hero 5, 6, and 7 owners, this solid aluminum housing will protect your camera while still allowing access. Plus, with the 52mm filter mount, you can adapt any standard UV lens, filter lens, or polarizing lens of the same diameter.
#1: GoPro Hero 5 and Hero (2018) Housing
- 【For GoPro HERO5】Suitable for GoPro HERO7 Black/HERO6/HERO5/HERO(2018) ,...
- 【Aluminum Alloy Case】Solid than other plastic case,added more protection of your...
- 【52mm UV Filter and Lens Cap】52mm UV filter reduces ultraviolet light,helps...
For Hero 3 and 4 owners, the official GoPro Skeleton Housing provides added protection and access to all ports.
#2: GoPro Hero 3 and Hero 4 Housing
All the above-mentioned external microphones and mic adapters are some of the best accessories for getting high-quality sound for your GoPro footage. You can choose any one accessory amongst them based on your needs and preferences. My personal favourite is the Rode Video Micro Shotgun Microphone simply because it’s highly reliable, inexpensive and compact. Plus, you can depend on Rode as a trusted microphone brand.
But, don’t forget to also buy a compatible Microphone Adapter, Housing or Media Mod to be able to attach your favourite mic to your action camera.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn about the best GoPro Mic Adapters and why you need them.
Sharing is Caring
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends
- GoPro Settings Explained: Definitive Guide [ Expanded for 2019 + Cheat sheet ]
- GoPro Protune: Everything You Need to Know to Master Your Advanced Settings
- GoPro Slow Motion: Learning to Use Slow Motion
- GoPro Low Light Tips: Learn How to Improve Your Low Light Footage
- GoPro Time Lapse: Creating Stunning Time Lapse Shots